Would you be interested in making your Instagram account private? Then you have come to the right place. You can create a private account simply by switching between a personal and business account. However, there are times when it can complicate this process.
If you are worried about converting your existing account into a private one, worry no more. In this guide, you will learn how to do that, whether you already have a personal or a business account. You can do it through a mobile app, browser, or computer/laptop.
Table of Contents
What It Takes to Make Your Instagram Account Private
To change your account to private, you can use your personal or public account. Here are the steps you need to take to privately set up your Instagram account. We have listed a few points below.
Also Read: How to Hide Like Counts on Instagram
With a Mobile Application
- Tap the profile icon in the bottom right corner of the Instagram application.
- On the upper right-hand corner of the screen, click the three horizontal lines.
- A list of options will appear when you tap Settings.
- Then, click Privacy.
- On the top, tap the toggle next to Private Account.
- You need to switch to private to confirm it.
By doing so, you will change your account type to private.
Using a Mobile Browser
- You will need to sign in on your mobile browser to Instagram if you are not already logged in.
- Here, You can view your profile by tapping the bottom right corner.
- You can find the Settings icon at the top-left corner.
- Make sure Privacy and Security are selected.
- You can make your profile private by checking the box under the Account Privacy section that appears at the top.
Using a computer, a tablet, or a laptop
- You can log into your account via your browser.
- You can select your settings by tapping your profile icon on the top right.
- From the left-hand menu, select Privacy and Security.
- By checking the Private Account checkbox, you’ll be able to make your profile private.
When it’s a business or Creator account, how to make your Instagram Account Private
Changing a business account or creator account to a private one is different from changing an ordinary one.
Whenever you try to change your business account to private, you get a message: Business Accounts Can’t Be Private. “If you want to make your account private, first switch back to a personal account.” To make your business or a creator account private, you first need to switch it to a personal account.
The following are the steps to convert a business account to a personal account:
- Go to the Settings tab.
- Go to the Accounts tab.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Switch Account Type to switch account types.
- To switch to your personal account, select Switch to my account.
Here is how to make your Instagram account private. It is the simplest method you can use, and it makes your privacy your primary concern. You can read below about the effect of the private account if you have any questions.
Now you can follow the steps mentioned above to turn your profile private.
The Effects of a Private Profile
Your followers will only be able to see your photos and videos if you make your account private. A person who does not follow you will not be able to see your posts or stories.
If someone decides to follow you, they will send a follow request to you. It has to be manually approved by you before you can start receiving the following requests from them.
Above are the ways by which you can make your Instagram account private whether it is mobile, PC, or Laptop. Do smash the like button below.